Monday, June 20, 2011

#1 Bird of Paradise


I have always felt a deep connection towards birds. Soooo deep that I am even convinced that I was one of them in a previous life. I especially admire the bewildering colours of paradise birds and the giant eyes of owls.
So the logical step for me was to make a feather skirt. And where else to wear this skirt than to your high-school graduation to be remembered as you truly are by your mates.
The process of making this skirt is easy but time-consuming, very time-consuming as I used a needle and thread to attach the feather ribbon instead of the easy peasy glue gun.
I got the electrifying green feather ribbon at a craft store Karnaluks for 3€ a metre.
They have a great variety of crafty goods for all DIY projects. A lot of the young Estonian designers fish their materials there.
For the base I used an old skirt I found at Humana.
So here it is:


The surprising part is that I actually did not wear it for my graduation. 
My mother is quite old-school and takes etiquette seriously and she thought that it was too costume party for graduating. My plan A was to wear a grey tux with a white shirt with black buttons and a velvet bowtie. When I told her about that I had to thik up a plan B, because "all the girls wear a dress on that day".
A few unsuccessful plans later and a day before graduating we finally reached a compromise with a white tailored jacet and a red! ("red is your colour") dress . I can't remember the last time I wore red. I greeted red with scepticism. At least I felt like myself when I added a selfmade brooch, without her permission of course.
So why didn't I wear the skirt as I wished? Why didn't I be selfish for my night as everyone else encouraged me to be?
Well, because it wasn't just my night. I didn't reach the finish line to receive the gold medal alone. It was not just my battle. We shared it with my mother.
And I heard a sentence from one of my favourite movies "Into the wild". If you have not yet seen this movie, you should put it into your to-do list. It's an order.
"Happiness only real when shared"
It kept me thinking: "How can I be happy alone with my decisions?"
At this point you may have a negative impression of my mother, because she doesn't trust my decisions and she want's to make me a little more like everyone else.
You may be right and wrong at the same time.
More wrong.
I have to assure you she is the Biggest person I have ever met.
Everytime I am with her I wonder: "How lucky of a kid I am!"
She is the one I cherish most in my life and she makes me happy, even though she may keep me back a little.
It's fear. Wouldn't you be scared to let go all of your beliefs that you have carried you whole life? And wouldn't you be scared of your kid who is different from everyone else in some way?

So what I'm trying to say is that analyse peoples' actions before you fustigate (what a cool word) them, Do It Yourself and share happiness.

Hope you're having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment