Thursday, March 7, 2013

About love at first sight


To be honest,
I think the concept behind love at first sight is quite scary. It's believed to be the most romantic thing ever- when two souls unite unanimously at the first glance. To maybe grasp the concept of it all a bit more clearly let's think of something we've all went through and is fairly similar: shopping.
Right? Genius!
I know, you may be thinking about how it's not completely fair. Clothes and human beings.
Elementary, my dear Watson. 
Let's imagine this scene. You're walking around a clothing store during sales. Just wandering around, starting to feel a bit bored until you spot something. It's a piece you've been searching for seasons, but found nothing until now.
It's on sale. It's your size. It's perfect. You're in love.
You're almost dancing to the fitting room all giddy and excited. If you know what I mean. While you're standing in line (because it's sales season), waiting and anticipating, you're caressing the material and giving it a couple of up-and-down gazes while imagining all kinds of different scenarios that are probable to happen while fitting and wondering if that item will be merciful for your a-bit-wider thighs and the small bump you managed to pick up during Christmas holidays, but with all those worries you stop on that one image: that dress being the perfect match to your body. Finally, you reach the fitting room. And owh my. Well, let's put it this way. It's nothing close to what you had imagined and hoped. But during that silly fraction of time you managed to get so attached to it that you're starting to un-convince yourself of the faults.
"Maybe I can sew something additional the the hem so it wouldn't be so short?".
"The zipper isn't working that smoothly, but I can definitely fix it, somehow".
"The pleads are not doing what they are supposed to be doing, they need some directions".
"I can probably dye it for a more fitting color".
"Maybe a push-up bra will make my chest look a bit more appealing in this".
 "I'll use professional help when I can't manage myself"

If you've been thinking about that one specific thing to come into your life for too long to bare some more then I've got news for you. It's a trap! A trap you've set for yourself.
Yes, you are Winnie-the-Pooh, who set up a trap for the Backson- an imaginary monster- using honey as bait, but eventually forget about the trap and fall for the empty honey pot, because of a growling stomach and a naive mind. 
I've been watching too many animated movies. 
No, I'm not hinting it's foolish. No, I'm not saying it's that extreme. Yes, I do believe in magic and not the "ow, hey, what's a rabbit doing in my hat, silly rabbit, you" magic.
But when our emotions take over and our mind is sent on an all expenses trip to somewhere far from civilization we can get into some wacky business.
If you manage to keep a clear head then you'd take that item off and retrieve it back to where you found it.
If you've gone all ga-ga for goo-goo then owh-no for you, honey-boo-boo.
I guess it's all the cheeseball romantic Hollywood movies that have brainwashed us. Where men will do anything to get your attention, look like Ryan Gosling (or -insert movie crush-), kiss you passionately in the pouring rain while your mascara is dripping off your face and you feel like drowning. The women will be 170 cm tall with Grecian goddess bodies and wake up with flawless make-up.
Nevertheless, I do feel compassion when I saw Disney's Oscar winning short movie "Paperman". Don't hide it, you were also secretly rooting for this couple, even though you knew it was bound to end like that.
I just wish someone would just acknowledge the beauty and magic after that first contact, after the (read the next in a princess voice) "will we be finally united or not?" part.
It does seem like I'm expecting perfection from the first second, either be it with clothes or relationships. Here and now I will refute these beliefs.
But the question still remains- how much work and effort is still okay to not change entirely what was once there?

1 comment:

  1. This movie is, i think, the cutest thing i have seen lately!!

    ReplyDelete